Thursday, February 14, 2008

the greatest basketball game I ever played

It was my first day of university. I decided to skip all my classes. I had Surrealism and Dada, Post Modern Literature and Poetry: Romanticism. I thought I was the reincarnation of Lord Byron. Actually, I still do. Anyway, I skipped my classes that day and headed for the gym. I thought playing ball would be a good way to kill the day.

I arrived at the gym. There were lots of basketball games being played. At first I couldn't decide what game to include myself in. I didn't want to pick a court where I would be severely over matched. I wanted to pick a court where I could show off my skills. I wanted to make a good impression on the girls watching the games. I tried to decide. Should I include myself in the game with the fewest black people, or include myself in the game with the most chinese guys. It was probably the wrong decision but I included myself in the game with the fewest black people.

After all the introductions, we started playing. In the first minute of the game I threw a laser beam no look spinarama pass to the wingman cutting toward the basket. It was perfect. One basket for us on the strength of my bad-ass pass. The crowd took notice. I was stoked. As the game continued, in an effort to recapture that first glorious moment, I attempted no-look passes almost every time down the court. Unfortunately, none of my subsequent passes found their mark. I broke one guy's glasses. I smashed the ball off the head of another guy who wasn't even looking at me. I whipped the ball off the nose of a player who I thought was on my team but in fact was on the other.

It was so much fun. Way more fun than going to class could ever be. That first semester I practically skipped every class to play basketball.

I failed almost every course and was placed under academic suspension.

3 comments:

2 Dollar Productions said...

At least it was worth it. You should have taken basketball as a class, and got credit. I took racquetball 2 semesters which was a great way to deal with a hangover.

Smart move on the court choice.

Cowboy said...

No-looks off the face?! You're living the Dadaist dream dude.

IDigHootchAndCootch said...

$2 - smart. my sister took kiniseology (sp?). All they did was play sports. I dont know how I missed that major.

J7 - HA! I should have video taped my chaotic basketball performances and submitted them to my professor as my end of the year Dada assignment.